- Category: Bus. Manager
- Created: 16 March 2014
- Hits: 10046
Brothers and Sisters holding a JW A Classification,
Many of you have signed up in Burlington Iowa Local 13 and are aware of the licensing requirements. IBEW Local 1 has compiled the following guidelines to assist you in the application process.
The state of Iowa has a website with an optional online application. Abridged details of the process are listed below:
Begin by copying and pasting the following link in your address bar:
- Create an account by clicking on Sing Up as a New User
· Enter your email and a password of your choosing – the site will then send an email to the account you entered for verification.
· Visit your email and click on the verification link
· Now (using your created password) enter the site.
· You will then be walked through the entire process page by page. At the bottom of each page you will be prompted to save your information.
Once you reach the license page you have three options:
1. Journeyman Class A :
- Must pass Iowa electrical licensing exam
2. Journeyman Class B :
- Must have 16,000 hours experience
- Must have started working in the industry BEFORE January 1, 1998
- This license may have additional restrictions in areas of Iowa that have their own inspection departments.
- Apply online
- Fee is listed as $75 but is currently prorated at check-out (via credit or debit card)
- Lower fee - approximately $20 (via credit or credit card)
- Jobsite ratio – 3 Journeyman class B to 1 unclassified journeyman
- May NOT work unsupervised
- Contractor discretion per job on whether or not they will hire you
Our members have applied for options #2 and #3. The Iowa Public licensing Board has informed IBEW Local 1 that the process for a Class B license can be up to 10 working days, but they do their best to expedite our applications. Some of our members have reported a faster response time when applying for the unclassified license. Members can apply for the unclassified license and upgrade immediately thereafter with accumulated license fees.
In addition to completing the online application you will also need the following information:
- If you worked out of town during your career then you will need a printout of work history from the IBEW/NECA Service Center.
- If you have never worked outside Local 1’s jurisdiction then our secretaries (IBEW Local 1) can print your work history for you.
- For the Class B application you will need an Affidavit of Work Experience (linked here) and this form will have to be notarized by one of our secretaries or a notary of your choice.
Again, we will do all in our power to help you,
Here is a link to a screenshot video detailing the process:
This video shows the process for a JW Class B application but details other options too.
Members seeking to submit their application via postal mail can access the necessary forms here:
Frank D Jacobs
IBEW Local 1
St. Louis Missouri
FROM YOUR INTERNATIONAL OFFICE
LU: 13 Jurisdiction: IA Updated: 6/4/2014
Classification: Inside Journeyman Wireman Referral Hrs: 8-4.30 Scale: 29.55/29.25
Pension I: 6.00/5.75
Pension II: Annuity: 0
Vacation: .60 deduct
Health & Welfare: 5.65/5.40
Book I Status: Promising
Book I Count: 7
Book II Status: Promising
Book II Count: 58
Details: Book I has 7 on it. Book 2 .has 58 on it. Work is picking up .Need Iowa electrical license for most jobs. Call the Iowa state license board at 515-725-6147 to find out how to obtain an Iowa state electrical license. Orascom has decided to pay $490.00/week per diem and $2.00/hour retention bonus on all craft work at the fertilizer plant starting Monday June 9th.
Local Contact Info:
City/State: Burlington, IA
Address: 1205 North Central Avenue
Phone: (319) 752-0452